Mid Century Modern Pond House Addition in Kennett Square
2013 Regional CotY Winner
Our client had recently purchased this home for its location and beautiful, secluded setting. They could see the potential in the dramatic ceilings and floor-to-ceiling windows. But this 80’s Contemporary was badly in need of an update. Once the epitome of a stylish house, it now just looked kitschy and dated. They asked us to design a modern, sophisticated, yet casual reincarnation that would realize its potential and restore its “cool”.
Spring Creek Design transformed this home from “80’s Contemporary” to “Modern Farmhouse” and the clients love it! Wood, stone, and a soaring, barn-like interior space are combined with clean, modern lines. By using a stark, neutral color palette, we created a gallery-like background to allow the accent elements to become stars. The stone fireplace, Douglas Fir rafter ties, pops of red in the kitchen, steel stair railing, and the homeowners’ art and collectibles stand out beautifully in this space.
Removing the old central staircase freed up floor space to allow for the dramatic expression of the kitchen. The new stairway provides access to the front entry and both levels of the home. We even included extra floor space between the two main work areas in the kitchen to accommodate Tess, the German Shepherd who likes to lay in the kitchen while her “parents” are cooking!
- Provide 4-season breakfast room with view of the pond.
- Tightly integrate the new structure into the existing design.
- Use sustainable, energy efficient building practices and materials.
- Dramatic, 1.5-story, glass walled breakfast room.
- Custom fabricated steel and glass exterior stairway.
- Soy-based spray foam insulation
- Standing seam galvalume “Cool Roof”.
- Pella Designer series windows